Convenor: Lisa Graham 519-927-9871, Committee: Sandra Graham
All exhibits in competition in the Culinary Arts (Home Baking Classes) must be as specified or will not be eligible. In the case of no competition, unless the entry is worthy, the prize may be withheld. One article cannot be entered in more than one class and no exhibitor may make more than one entry in a class. No Mixes Allowed, or canned fillings to be used, unless specified.
**All baking in Section 12 is to be picked up between 3:30-4:00pm on Saturday (June 10, 2023) of the fair weekend. Please advise the Home Baking Convenor if you wish to donate your baking to the Auction held after the opening ceremonies with proceeds split 50/50 between Bethell House Hospice and the Multiple Sclerosis Society , should you be unable to pick up your baking during the above mentioned time frame.
Muffins-no paper baking cups.
No store bought tart or pie pastry shells.
Pies- can be baked in your choice of pie plate, minimum diameter of 8”, double (2) crust unless specified otherwise, and exhibited in plastic bags.
If using new foil plates, plates must be seasoned by rubbing both sides of the plate with cooking oil and baked at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Bread-pan 9”x4”x3”=24 oz. or metric equivalent, unless requested otherwise.
Rolls are baked separately, Buns are baked together in one pan.
Fruit loaf– enter ½ loaf or a mini loaf.
Cakes, Bread and Loaves should be on foil covered cardboard no more than 1” larger than product.
Cookies, tarts, squares, candies and muffins are to be exhibited on small 6” paper or plastic plates contained in plastic bags, zip bags preferred.
All baking entries are to be in clear Plastic Bags with Entry Tags firmly attached to the outside of the bag. Plastic domes are acceptable. NO Plastic Wrap OR Tape.
Judging & Display Guidelines
Pies- One-sixth of the pie will be removed for judging and will then be placed on a separate plate for display. The remainder of the pie may be picked up by the exhibitor or may be donated after judging is completed to the Auction (See highlighted ** section above).
Cakes- will have one piece taken out for judging and display. The remainder of the cake will be available for pickup or may be donated to the Auction. (See highlighted **section above).
Please keep in mind that we have no refrigeration.
High Point Bake Special
Sponsored in Memory of Doris Ward
Prize: $10.00 TO The Exhibitor Winning The Most Points IN The Home Baking Classes (Excluding Retained Specials).
High Point New Exhibitor Bake Special
Sponsored by: Barbara Ward
Prize: TO The New Exhibitor Winning The Most Points IN The Home Baking Classes (Excluding Retained Specials).
Prizes: 1st-$10.00, 2nd-$8.00, 3rd– $7.00
Whole cakes will have one piece removed for judging, which will then be placed on a separate plate for display.
Remainder of cake will be available for pickup on Saturday afternoon or may be donated to the Auction
- Vanilla Layer Cake, filled, iced.
- Upside Down Cake, your choice of flavour/fruit.
- Angel Cake, no icing, no glaze.
- Cake baked in Bundt Pan, your choice.
Pies & Tarts
Prizes: 1st-$8.00, 2nd -$7.00, 3rd-$6.00
Minimum diameter 8″. Your choice of pie plate
Pies will have one piece removed for judging, which will then be placed on a separate plate for display. Remainder of pie will be available for pickup on Saturday afternoon or may be donated to the Auction after judging is completed.
- Raisin, double crust.
- Strawberry Rhubarb, double crust.
- Apple, no spice, double crust.
- Pecan, single crust.
- Butter Tarts, with raisins, 5.
- Cherry Tarts, 5.
- Pecan Tarts, 5.
Prizes: 1st– $8.00, 2nd– $6.00, 3rd– $4.00
- Brown Bread, ½ loaf, not made in a bread machine.
- Cloverleaf Buns, 5.
- Sourdough bread, ½ loaf.
- Chelsea Buns, 3.
- Multi-grain Bread, 1 loaf, made in bread maker.
- Lemon Turnovers, glazed, 3
- Pizza Buns, 3.
- Tea Biscuits, 5.
Quick Breads & Muffins
Prizes: 1st– $5.00, 2nd– $4.00, 3rd– $3.00
For loaves, exhibit ½ loaf or use mini loaf pan.
- Banana Loaf.
- Spiced Apple Loaf.
- Date & Nut Loaf
- Carrot Muffins, 5.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins, 5
Prizes: 1st– $5.00, 2nd– $4.00, 3rd– $3.00
- Sugar Cookies, decorated in theme of the fair, 5.
- Brownies, iced, 5.
- Oatmeal Cookies, 5.
- Date Squares, 5.
- Maple Fudge, no nuts, 5 pieces.
- Rocky Road Fudge, without nuts, 5 pieces.
- Chocolate Fudge, 5 pieces.
- Almond Bark, 5 pieces.
- Brittle, variety of your choice, 5 pieces.
Celebrate Udderly Dairylicious Recipes
Prizes: 1st-$25.00, 2nd-$15.00, 3rd-$10.00
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake. Include recipe.
- Hot milk cake, include recipe.
- Old Fashioned buttermilk Cake. Include recipe.
- SP O.A.A.S. Special- Butter Tarts
- Entry must be made solely by the person entering the competition (including the pastry)
- Competition is open to all exhibitors.
- Number of butter tarts to be shown- 5.
- Tarts must be full size (no mini or bite size tarts).
- No nuts or any other fruit- only raisins are to be included.
- Tarts must be on a clean paper plate inside of a clear plastic bag.
Recipe Must Accompany Entry.
Prizes: Local level: 1st-$10.00, 2nd-$8.00, 3rd-$5.00.
The winner is eligible to compete at the District #5 O.A.A.S. Competition to be held in October 2023. Caledon Agricultural Society will pay a further $5.00 upon competing at the District level. The winners of this district competition are eligible to compete at the provincial level in February 2024 at the Oaas Convention where the prizes will be 1st-$50.00, 2nd-$30.00 and 3rd-$20.00.
Retained Baking Specials
“Retained Specials” Are Not Counted Towards High Point Awards.
- SP Alan Mcmaster Raisin Pie Retained Special – 1st prize $15 – First place pie to be retained by the sponsor. All others to be auctioned off following the opening ceremonies on Saturday. Proceeds are split 50/50 between Bethel House Inglewood and the Multiple Sclerosis Society. 2nd prize $10, 3rd prize $5..
- SP Double-Crusted Pie Auction Special-Variety OF Your Choice. Prizes: 1st-30.00, 2nd-$25.00, 3rd-20.00, 4th-$15.00 Sponsored BY The Pinkney Family. All pies will be retained by the Caledon Agricultural Society to be auctioned off following the opening ceremonies. Proceeds are split 50/50 between Bethel House Inglewood and the Local Chapter of Multiple Sclerosis Society